Sunday, June 16, 2013

Interview a 5th Year Arki Student Experience


So nagkalat ang balitang may mga 1st year na mag-iinterview sa mga fifth year. Ang nostalgic lang ng experience. kaya ito, napagdesisyunan kong ipost ang aking english interview. Mas bukal sana sa loob kung tagalog freestyle to. Pero eto.. isa sa tatlo kong interview.

1. Of all the courses, why did you choose architecture?

I have very little knowledge about architecture back then. My father and my brother are engineers so I have few backgrounds in the construction field. I was really into arts ever since. When I was in highschool, I was the artist of the class and everybody would always say, “Uy Berna, padrawing naman”. I chose architecture because I was looking for a profession that would really be a combination of my passion for the arts and a really good career path. :D





2. Do you remember your first year? How was it?

Scary and Exciting! I am from Tanauan, Batangas and I have no idea how to deal with all these kinds of people. I still remember my first day and first class and I’m pretty sure you’re going to remember yours too. It was pretty challenging. There are others who have graduated from art schools and technical schools, who really stood out in the class. I kept getting lost in Manila, I was stranded in the Main Building, I SUGOD at a knee-high flood, I cried in the Dean’s Office and a lot more experiences. But then, I found a group of friends whom I always remembered for sharing our first times in my Manila Life.


3. Back then when you were in first year what are your expectations or fears?

I was really grade conscious back then. I always get anxious whenever I get low grades in certain subjects (even in minors). I was really doing good in Design Class and I was really afraid to let myself down. (But that changed over the years haha)

Most times, I also feel pressured. I remembered crying over my Graphics Plate because I kept blotting on my buff paper. I ended up redrawing everything for 5 times.

I was unsure too. After seeing these good drafters and renderers, I kept asking myself if I can still make it. We have a cut-off and we heard we’ll be reduced to 8 sections by the end of the school year.

4. As a freshman, what are the important things we must know?

  • Learn to love Coffee! It will be your bestfriend over the years.
  • Savor the good schedule! :D Over the years I was really excited to have the NIGHT CLASSES but it’s really draining and nakakatamad. Everybody’s going home while you’re still going to class.
  • Don’t push yourself too much. Sometimes you just need to unwind, make some art, write poetry, sleep… sleep… sleep. When you still have free time, take care of yourself.
  • Keep a Journal/ Planner/ Reminders notebook. I have journals to keep track of the deadlines, must buys and reminders. Organize yourself and jot down notes like: “August 27! Nagpass ako ng plate! Pero Nastranded na naman ako!”. Nostalgia is always a good way to unwind yourself during your downtimes.
  • Savor the “fantasy” designs. Over the years, you’ll learn more about your limits and you’ll learn more about reality. 
  • Explore! Learn more about UST! About Manila! About everything!
  • Don’t be afraid to ask the elders (yes, that’s us) We 5th years would really want to share a lot of advices for the freshies. Although we may not still be in school during your school hours.
  • Visit the library. 5th floor, humanities. There are a lot of architecture books there you’d want to scan. (And if you don’t know, architecture books are really pricy.) Spend some time in the library, borrow some books. It’s much more productive and inspiration worthy that the internet.
  • Learn to budget. Sometimes you don’t have to buy expensive stuffs, consult first with others or even us older batches. Maybe you don’t have to buy compressors for your air brushes, you can always just share with your classmates.
  • There are few ghost stories in Beato you have yet to learn for yourself.
  • Some professors can be intimidating, some can be very hospitable and kind and there are some who will make you regret you ever have them as yours. But you’ll realize after all these years, the professors really make the Beato Experience worth it.
  • Join an org! Be it even university wide or even the local arki orgs. Expand your circles and you can get to know higher years and learn from them. I advise you join UAPSA and Archinet. And also you may join Arkipella/Arkitrato/Arki dance troup. Joining an org means a lot more than just extra curricular. It brings a lot more sense and happiness in your arki life.
5. What was the hardest year for you?

3rd Year. It was the hardest yet the most memorable. The batch was reshuffled again. (Usually, batches are only reshuffled during 2nd year, but we had some office issues that made us reshuffled again) It was another getting to know year. We had a 8am to 8pm class schedule that time. We had lots of extra curricular activities. We have bigger scale plates. BUT, the batch was really getting stronger and happier by that time, everybody knows everybody. This is our first year for the FLOAT PARADE competition and we really bonded very well.

6. What advices can you give me to survive and enjoy architecture

Like I said, don’t push yourself too much. Learn to love architecture not just by its theories, but also by its poetry. Find good company and for sure you’ll be able to cope with ALL OF THIS. There’s also a saying, “Forget Inspiration, Habit is more dependable”. There are times when you feel like saying, “Wala pa ako sa mood”. But then, you’ll end up sleeping and doing nothing at all. There will come to MANY TIMES that you’ll have to cram up and do it in the last minute, go to school like your eyebags are bigger than your eyes, and sleep in classes and even in the corridors. But your professors will understand that. (They’re used to it) Just be considerate at some times.

Love your craft. I still have my first year plates with me until now. Even my clay models and even the Trash Plates. Sometimes you’ll have to deal with professors with different taste as yours, but in the end, you’ll have to please them. That’s the Point in our field. You have to please and convince others to love your style, your design, because we are masters of our clients. Work on your defending and convincing skills!

Take care of yourself. Eat a lot and don’t skip meals. You’ll need a healthy body and mind to withstand all the sleepless nights you have yet to experience.

7. What preparations did you do for fifth year?

Time really flies fast. Until now I’m not even sure I am really prepared for this. Last sem, I really researched on my thesis choice. But I must say, you really must invest in yourself. I studied Architectural Softwares that I may need, like Sketchup, Revit, Lumion, Autocad and a bunch of others. This will really come in handy over the years. I was really more of a “manual” type back then. I loved watercolor and pencil plates. But over the years, I may say I am forced to learn but I am happy with it. (No more sea of big papers and clutters in my bed.)

8. Any advice on dealing with professors and or classmates?

Somebody’s good at something else you’re not. :( Learn to accept that there’s just these people who will be the eyes and aces of the class during VT. But, we all have our specialties, maybe there are these people who will have 1.00 in VT but you’ll beat them with a 1.00 in Graphics or in Math. I was one of those frustrated in Graphics Class and all the technical subjects but I sure love English, Filipino Lit, Theo and Design back then.

In professors, learn to respect them. They may sometimes not like your work but you’ll have to accept you can’t please everybody. They are there to teach you. Get some advices from other sections or other year levels on how to deal with them. We already know what Ms. --- wants, how Sir *** grades our plates and how can you get a 1.00 in Mam ****.

9. Being an architecture student, do you still have time to bond with your high school friends?

Yes I do! But it’s getting seldom every year. I have classmates studying also in UST and sometimes we get together, during Paskuhan, or even simple lunches. Facebook was just getting started when we were in our first year. We had Multiply back then. We had just moved out of Friendster. Every summer break and sembreak, we had swimming outings and get-togethers organized. Last year, we didn’t have much time, all the others were busy in their OJTs. This summer, we were the ones busy with the Thesis and the OJTs too.

10. Going into fifth year, what did you do to prepare yourself?

I watched the thesis defense by the fifth year last years. By that, I’d learn how to answer questions from the jury, what they may need and what they are looking for in a design. I also asked a lot of professors and decided on a thesis wherein I know I’ll not give up on. I chose the People’s Park in the Sky in Tagaytay/ formerly Palace in the Sky because I want my thesis to be romantic, iconic and poetic. I want to design I place I’d love to go to and I want to experience something surreal. I also learned about the technicals and details I may need, since I don’t do much in the technical side.

11. Describe a challenging problem you faced on being an architecture student. How did you solve the problem?

Time Management. A lot of times you’ll be having 5 plate submissions in 1 week. Not including your bestfriend’s birthday, your Doctor’s schedule appointment and your parents’ anniversary. It’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of sacrifice. I have lots of times that I can’t go home to the province in the weekends anymore because I have tons of works because of the HELL WEEK.

Tip: In arki, a week before the finals is the Plate Submission Week. Also known as the Hell Week.

A solution to this problem: like mentioned “Keep a Planner/Journal”. Keep track of things so you’ll not be jammed by this hell week. Try to break down the tasks into simpler ones. And also, start with the easy ones before the hard ones.

And also, always remember, Family always comes first. J Don’t over sacrifice things you wouldn’t want to. As one living away from my family, I always get a phone call from my parents keeping track of me, bugging me in the middle of class and telling me what I should and shouldn’t do. You can’t avoid it, parents will always be parents. Love them and respect them.

12. Is there competition in architecture?

ALWAYS. You’ll have to compete with all your classmates and by the time we are in the professional world, we still have design competitions. There’s always a risk in everything and you have to learn to deal with it. Sometimes you win and sometimes you’ll lose but that doesn’t mean you should stop. Sometimes you become a Dean’s lister and sometimes you’ll not but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t strive for a higher place. Compete for yourself, all the success in Architecture starts from taking a risk.

13. Architecture entails you to sacrifice lots of things, what keeps you moving forward?

It’s the passion. NAKS I always come to a point in making a decision. Do I still have to do this? Will all of this be worth it?

In Arki, you’ll have to sacrifice time, sleep and your social life. But eventually, you’ll have more time, you’ll get to sleep (while waiting for your rendering) and you’ll get to have good friends coping with your same problems.

I have sacrificed a lot of things for this career path but I sure love everything I have experienced. Walang pinaghirapang nasasayang. All the tears, all the struggle and all the learned lessons.


14. Was there a point where you wanted to give up?

No. It’s just hard to think you’d give up after all the hardwork you have done. I don’t want to waste the tuition fee my parents have spent on me, not including my allowance and my purchase of expensive art materials. I can never imagine myself in a different career path than this. I really love that I had chosen this course and I’ll do whatever it takes to make it through. There has been a lot of times that it seems that I have drained all the creativity in me, but eventually, if you really are an artist, you’ll see there’s no point in giving up, on the thing I loved doing.

15. Any recommendation of good places to eat?

Don’t restrain yourself with the fastfoods. UST is surrounded by lots of food places and carinderias. I’d recommend the most famous Mang Tootz in P. Noval. For the best sisig, try Kalogs. For the best inihaw, try Darlings and Susies/Liempuhan. You can even go to Dapitan where there’s a lot more choices! Be sure to get decided even before lunch so you’ll not be late for the next class. We used to have time wasted asking each other, “San tayo kakain?” and the usual answer is “Kahit saan!”

You can also try having a picnic in the Lover’s Lane. If the carpark’s full or there are no place else where the complete barkada will be able to seat, you can always take out and have a picnic there. Just be sure to throw your trashes in their proper places.

Try to explore a lot more new ones. We 5th years already miss those things, those are one of the downsides of night classes, you don’t get to eat more usually in this places. You’ll have to hurry home to eat because they’re already closed.

16. Where do you usually buy your school materials?

The 3 J’s Bestfriends of the Beato People. Joyce’s Jomar’s and Joli’s.


EXTRA ADVISE :D

Arki is one of the COOL COLLEGES in UST. Iba pag sinabing, “Ay Arki yan! WOW!” Every year inaabangan ang ating bonggang “ARKI WEEK” Be proud and be nice too. Minsan mapagkakakitaan mo pa ang talent mo, kasi minsan may ibang colleges na naghahanap ng papadrawingan. And they always say, “Architecture is the highest form of art” Learn to love your choice and you’ll not regret it. 1ar2 ka so I understand, PASSED ka. Naks. I was 1ar3 nung 1st year ako. Mabait si Sir Mercado, he’ll introduce you to arki and make you feel proud you belong here. He'll make you explore and make you see the world. Prof ko siya in HOA 2 and HOA 3. 2nd year 2nd sem – 3rd year 1st sem. During our HOA 3rd year na 7am yung class, pinapayagan niya kami kumain and we share sugary goods para magising daw. Be ready with your highschool uniform na rin. And he loves STICK-O by the way.


Ask me lang anything I’d be happy to answer.


GOODLUCK ON YOUR FIRST YEAR!


-Bern





1 comment:

so, whatcha say?